Wednesday, March 14, 2012

" I have always depended on the kindness of strangers"

Since it is an election year [ and cuz it's just plain fun ] I have decided to have a monthly poll of different topics. I am starting off with one of my current [ actually on-going ] obsessions, Thomas Lanier Williams otherwise known as Tennessee Williams. Having just revisited 1959's Suddenly, Last Summer and 1951's A Streetcar Named Desire, and in honor of the anniversary of his birth on March 26 I have decided to make him or rather some of his movie adaptations as the first poll ever here at Movie catholic. So go to your polling place here at Movie catholic and cast your vote. I have inserted a little teaser of a scene from Streetcar, above. Not to influence the voting but I think it has to stand as one of the best adaptations of Williams' work. So come on folks step up and vote, I'm curious as to the outcome. Polls close March 20th

6 comments:

  1. Easy: Streetcar all day long. Not that I've seen many of the others. But come on. Streetcar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know it IS tough to beat Streetcar. But I do encourage Suddenly, Last Summer and Fugitive Kind among my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So--are we supposed to vote based on integrity to original work, or just what we like best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the one you not only like but the one you think works best as film.But you can judge it however you want to.

      Delete
  4. Well, while I think that "Streetcar" is the best adaptation with regard to faithfulness to the original play, I love "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." It's probably the least faithful adaptation (at least the movie version of "Suddenly, Last Summer" acknowledges what really happened to cousin Sebastian), but it helps a lot that it's got Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman looking amazing. . . . And I'm not shallow at all. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like " Cat " a lot more than I do now. Maybe it's age, maybe it's other things, but I can get behind " Streetcar" or " Suddenly, Last Summer " or " Fugitive Kind " more than I can " Cat " . Hell, I like " Mrs. Stone " and " Rose Tattoo " more. Again, not sure why. Maybe, I relate to the situation the characters find themselves in more than I do in " Cat ". Maggie's persistence and Brick's denial don't do it for me in the movie version, although it has a great many things going for it [ the performances & the music score come to mind ]. Not sure, but maybe too watered down for the screen. I think almost all of Williams' work could lend itself to remakes. In today's society and permissive film rating's his work's could be adapted and not censored like they were in the 50's & 60's. I do implore you to take a look at " Fugitive Kind ". When I first saw it as a late teen/early 20-something I thought it slow and worse, embarrassing. Having seen it in my later years, I thought it really moving and somewhat profound. Also daring for it's time,it was made 1959/1960.

      Delete