Saturday, February 23, 2013

My 2nd Annual Fearless Oscar Forecast

This Sunday, Feb. 24th, are the Oscar's and as anyone who knows me can tell you, I always watch the show. They may not mean much to me anymore, but Oscar is the only award show I have to see. Maybe it's because I remember when I thought winning an Oscar really meant something. Well, I was young and naive and I now realize winning an Oscar doesn't mean a damn thing, except to the folks who win one. Last year my Oscar predictions were pretty awesome. Of the top 8 catagories I got 7 of them right. This year I may not do as well. Little more of a crapshoot in some of the races. I won't give a rundown of all the nominees so if you wanna know who they are, Google it. But here are my predictions. Are you ready? Here we go:

Best Picture - Argo

Best Actor - Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln

Best Actress - Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
 
Best Supporting Actor - Robert DeNiro, Silver Linings Playbook

 Best Supporting Actress -  Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
 
Best Director - Ang Lee, Life Of Pi
 
Best Original Screenplay - Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Adapted Screenplay - Chris Terrio, Argo
My picks and I'm sticking with them. These are the ones I think will win. I don't want all of them to win, but I think they will. Some are tough calls. DeNiro has stiff competition from Tommy Lee Jones and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. All the Supporting Actors have won an Oscar before, but I think Bobby D may have the edge. Silver Linings is a most enjoyable film and DeNiro, a great actor, has spent far too long in the wilderness making a lot of crappy movies and giving uninspired performances. I think Oscar will welcome him back home. The Adapted screenplay vote for Argo is mostly based on the fact that Affleck failed to get a Director nom, despite his winning the DGA. There is no way Argo can take Best Pic and not take Screenplay. Best Director is the toughest call. Will Spielberg beat out Ang Lee? Maybe. Lincoln is predictable, stately and unimaginative but Spielberg is Spielberg and may be tough to beat. If little Stevie beats out Ang Lee it won't be by much as I feel they are neck and neck going down the stretch. I would love to see David O.Russell win for Silver Linings, but I don't think it's gonna happen so my bet is on Lee for Life of Pi. For Supporting Actress I would prefer to see Amy Adams over Anne Hathaway. I liked Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings but would like to see someone else get Best Actress. Lawrence is only 22 and has time on her side to win for a different movie. But I feel she will win, she's the flavor of the month, the new Julia Roberts and Hollywood loves a golden girl, the fairy tale princess. If she wins she will have no where to go but down. Unlike their male counterparts, Actresses have a history of winning young. Males, not so much { no male under 29 has ever won Best Actor }. 28 women under the age of 30 have won Best Actress, so Lawrence seems to have age on her side as well. The shoo-ins are DD-Lewis for Best Actor and Hathaway and Argo for Picture. So enjoy the show and check back a day or two after the awards and we will review how I did or didn't do.


No comments:

Post a Comment